Read "New Limits to Growth Revive Malthusian Fears" The Wall Street Journal, March 24, 2008
- Think about as you read, What burdens do MDC consumption trends impose on LDCs?
- MDC consumption levels (trend #1)
- LDC environmental risks (trend #2)
- Review Kuznet's curve
- Review the SPEC model
Exporting the Costs of Consumption
Read "Global Sludge Ends in Tragedy for Ivory Coast" New York Times, October 2, 2006.
Watch "The Electronic Wasteland" from 60 Minutes
Explore the TakeBack Coalition website to see how different electronics companies recycle.
Focus on Water: Usage, Availability, and Safety
Read about the global trends in access to water and how it is used.
Read "Thirsty Plant Dries Out Yemen" New York Times, 10-31-2009.
Watch this short video on an indoor biomass stove.
Explore these maps and figures.
Watch a video about a community in Chester, PA.
Environmental Justice in the U.S.
Read how the environmental justice movement has spurred legislation and inspired communities to take action.
Read about Katrina and "Cancer Alley."
Assignments to Turn in for Lesson 8
- How do policies and practices in MDCs affect the environment and health of people living in LDCs?
- Are some gropus of people more exposed to environmental health risks than others? Reference at least one case study in your answer.
- Describe how distributive justice or participatory justice are at work in one of the cases explored in this lesson? Would the stakeholders involved change their actions if they applied this type of justice?